A multi-blog look at lists of “Movies You Didn’t Know Were Based On Comics” to see how true they really are.
Previous in the Obscure Comic Book Film Source Project I made a list of 26 “Films you didn’t know were based on Comics” lists.
Please do please vote, so we can see how accurate these lists are.
1 – 10 – See List 1
11 – 20 – See List 2
21 – 32 – See List 3
33 – 42
Art School Confidential
- Created by Daniel Clowes to as filler in his anthology comic Eightball (appearing in #7 (November 1991)).
- 2006 Terry Zwigoff film.
- A 1994 series from Dark Horse series (9 issues and a 1998 mini-series) created as part of their “Comic’s Greatest World” by the editorial team, especially Chris Warner.
- A 1996 David Hogan film.
Bullet to the Head
- French comic “Du Plomb Dans La Tete” created by Matz (Alexis Nolent) with art by Colin Wilson.
- 2012 Walter Hill film.
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
- 1999 mini-series (and subsequent comics) by Alan Moore and Kevin O’Neill.
- 2006 film by Stephen Norrington.
Little Orphan Annie
- The 1928 – 2010 daily comic strip created by Harold Gray.
- The 1932 & 1938 films “Little Orphan Annie” and the 1982 & 2014 “Annie” films based on the musical.
- Based on the 1995 Dark Town comic created by Kaja Blackley with art by Vanessa Chong.
- 2001 Henry Selick film “Monkeybone.”
- 2004 graphic memoir by Marjane Satrapi.
- 2007 animated adaptation by Satrapi with Vincent Paronnaud.
- Based on Robert E Howard’s Red Sonya of Rogatino from his short story set in the 16 century adapted by Roy Thomas & Barry Windsor-Smith for Conan the Barbarian #23 (1973).
- 1985 Richard Fleischer film.
- 1998 Frank Miller comic.
- 2007 Zack Snyder film.
V for Vendetta
- A comic by Alan Moore & David Lloyd, first serialised in Warrior in 1985.
- A 2006 James McTeigue film.
43 – 63 – see List 5
Take the challenge: How many did you know where based on comics?
YEAR TWO is coming.